I first had the immense pleasure of tasting these scones on a road trip from New Orleans back to Austin. If you have ever made that 8 hour trek across I10 you know there is nowhere to stop for a good meal. So my boyfriend's super talented (and prepared!) sister had baked these for the drive. Needless to say all 8 scones were gone by the time we got back to Austin. Probably not the best "meal" but I felt a lot better about it than stopping at a fast food joint for a heart attach in a bag.
Post Script: I use chocolate and cherries here but you can really throw anything in that suits your fancy. I also like to use blueberries, strawberries, coconut, orange or lemon zest, ginger.. you get the point.
Preheat Oven to 350 F
- 2. 5 Cups Almond Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 Raw Honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 Cup El Rey Gran Saman Discos, chopped
- 1 Cup Fresh or Frozen Cherries, pitted and thawed
- Combine the almond flour, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate small bowl mix the ACV, egg, honey and vanilla.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the big mixing bowl with the dry ingredients and combine.
- Once thoroughly mixed, add the chocolate and cherries. I like to gently mix them in evenly with my hands. (They're gonna get dirty anyways!) Combine everything into one big dough ball.
- Place the entire dough ball on a lined cookie sheet and use your fingers to pat in out into a circle about 1 inch thick. (Wash your hands now :)
- With a large knife, cut the circle into eighths and put in the oven to bake.
BAKE at 350 F for 15 minutes